This is Finland
Finland is one of safest countries in the world. In our beautiful and clean nature you can enjoy thousands of activities.
There are many reasons to fall in love with Finland and the Finns. As it would be impossible to list them all we have collected interesting facts about our unique home country.
DID YOU KNOW THIS....
- Independence: declared on December 6, 1917. Previously a grand duchy in the Russian empire for 108 years, and a part of Sweden for 600 years before that
- Greatest length from north to south: 1,157 km (717 miles) and greatest width from east to west: 542 km (336 miles)
- Member of United Nations since 1955 and European Union since 1995
- Currency Euro. In Pajulahti we accept Visa, Visa Electron, V pay, Eurocard, Mastercard, Maestro and Amex
- High standard of education, social security and healthcare, all financed by the state
- Passports issued by Finland, UK and Sweden offer visa-free travel to more countries than any other passports
- Swedish is also an official language • Artic weather with 4 seasons: from fairly warm summer, fresh and rainy autumn, snowy winter and lively spring (2014 extremes: coldest day in Utsjoki -40.7 C/- 40.7 F, warmest day in Pori 32.8 C/91 F) • There are 187,888 lakes within the territory of Finland – the most of any country in the world.
- Finland is also called as the land of midnight sun, because in June and July the sun shines all day and all night in the north, not dropping below the horizon.
- Like many Nordic countries, Finland has some of the world’s best “Freedom to Roam” opportunities: Everyman ́s right. This means that you can pitch a tent, pick wild berries or fish in the lakes for free
- Supermarkets open daily. Anyone permanently resident outside the EU and Norway can shop tax free
- In 2010, Finland became the first country in the world to make Internet access a legal right and there is Free WLAN in almost every city
- There are no public payphones in Finland. There are over 5 million mobile phones for a population of 5.4 million
- Drinkable tab water
- 9 out of 10 plastic bottles and almost 100% of glass bottles are recycled
- The one and Only Santa Claus from Korvatunturi, based in Rovaniemi
- Moomins, Angry Birds and Clash of Clans come from Finland
- Finnish-born inventions include the rescue toboggan, the heart-rate monitor, salty liquorice (‘Salmiakki’), the Linux OS, ice skates, the SMS and, of course, the sauna, which also happens to be the most used Finnish word outside of the mother country
- We Finns love coffee more than anyone else. The average Finn consumes 12 kg of the brown stuff every year.